Chinese New Year always give me a love-hate feeling. I love eating and snack, and my house has no lack of food. My living area is like a red alert zone, with all the snacks screaming at me to eat them. However, here comes the hate part – I put on weight fast and the tummy is back in sight. Sigh.
This morning, in the shower, I took in a deep breathe and tried holding my tummy in for as long as I could. I wished for that flat tummy. Alright, but after so many days of feasting, I need to first detox.
My dear Lifen is unable to visit the toilet this morning because of over-feasting on all the pineapple tarts. My dear Joanne is having a bad throat, so am I, and you know why – all the chocolates and cookies are just irrresistible. (Gosh, I got all excited talking about food.)
Here are some simple and inexpensive remedies for my “constipated” friend (Lifen is going to get me for this unexpected publicity of her bowels movement.)
1. Fibre-fruity: Apple or pear is key to healthy bowels. To have a three-in-one solution, go for guava because it gives you 150mg of Vitamin C as well as fibre and potassium. (Yes, papaya too… usually it is last on my list because I just cannot get use of that smell.)
2. Sweet-vegan: Start biting off those cobs of sweet corn! Those little fibre that stucks between your teeth will help prevent constipation.
3. Juice it: For deep cleansing of the digestive system, go for this juice combination of papaya, mango, and pineapple. I am going to try this out tomorrow, the day after, until I feel fully cleansed within.
4. Let it all go (scream “Detox“): Try this juice combination of beetroot, orange, tomato, and parsley. For something tastier, go for orange, pear, yam, grapefruit and apple.
5. The basics: I have tried eating raw vegetable salad without any dressing, and it works too. And of course, drink lots of water.
Remedies for another top post-CYN problem: Sore throat
1. Eat red peppers – I was surprised to find out that red pepper contains a substance simliar to what is found in cough syrup. (More benefits: Red peppers contains Vitamin A and twice more Vitamin C than broccoli or kai lan. It is full of antioxidants too.)
2. Juicing again – Juice the combination of watercress, turnip and carrots (more of them to tone down the peppery taste of watercress) – watercress is great for soothing throat infections.
3. No more snacks till you get well. This is from me (and for me too).